COVID-19 Scams & Fraud Alerts
Fraudulent schemes related to COVID-19 are rapidly evolving. Scammers are reaching out to individuals using telemarketing calls, text messages, emails, social media, and even door-to-do visit to commit COVID-19-related scams. Additionally, these fraudsters are offering COVID-19 tests, HHS grants, and Medicare prescription cards in exchange for personal information. These scammers are using the coronavirus pandemic to benefit themselves, while their victims face possible harm to their identities. Your personal information, if they can collect it, can be used to fraudulently bill federal health care programs, and commit medical identity theft.
Protect Your Identity.
It’s highly important to recognize and know when a scammer is trying to access your personal information. Listed below is beneficial and knowledgeable information that can help you identify and protect yourself from these potential fraudulent schemes.
- Offers to purchase COVID-19 vaccination cards are scams. Vali proof of COVID-19 vaccinations can only be provided by legitimate providers administering vaccines.
- Photos of COVID-19 vaccination cards should not be shared on social media. Posting any content that includes your birthdate, health care details, or other identifiable information ca be used to steal your identity.
- Beneficiaries should be cautious of unsolicited requests for their personal, medical, and financial information. Medicare will not call beneficiaries to offer COVID-19 related products, services, or benefit review.
- Do not respond to, or open hyperlinks in text messages about COVID-19 from unknown individuals.
- Ignore offers or advertisements for COVID-29 testing or treatments on social media sites. if you make an appointment for a COVID-19 test online, make sure the location is an official testing site.
- Be aware of scammers pretending to be COVID-19 contact tracers. Legitimate contact tracers will never ask for your Medicare number, financial information, or attempt to set up a COVID-19 test for you and collect payment for the test.
- If you suspect COVID-19 health care fraud, report it immediately online or call 800-HHS-TPS (800-447-8477).
Your personal information and identity should always be safeguarded. For more information on protecting yourself, check out the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website. Our office is happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have regarding COVID-19 scams and fraud alerts.
ABOUT SGROI FINANCIAL
Sgroi Financial is a full service, independent financial planning firm proudly serving the Western New York area since 1971. We offer services that will help you achieve your financial goals including retirement planning, investment management, estate planning, college planning and insurance. We help individuals, families, retirees, working adults, young adults and business owners.
Check out the background of our investment professionals on: BrokerCheck
Securities offered through Cadaret, Grant & Co., Inc., member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through Sgroi Wealth Advisory Group LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Sgroi Wealth Advisory Group LLC, Sgroi Financial LLC, and Cadaret, Grant & Co., Inc. are separate entities.
Due to various state regulations and registration requirements concerning the dissemination of information regarding investment products and services, we are currently required to limit access of the following pages to individuals residing in states where we are currently registered.
We are registered to sell Securities in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, KY, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, and WA